Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım announced on Friday that a state of emergency (OHAL) that was first declared following a failed coup in July 2016 will be extended for another three months.
During a meeting with journalists on Friday, Yıldırım said the government will request the extension of emergency rule from Parliament on July 18 as it expires on July 19.
Underlining that the state of emergency would be lifted when conditions are appropriate, Yıldırım declined to give a specific date for its revocation.
“These are issues to be discussed and decided at the National Security Council [MGK],” he said.
The MGK will meet on July 17 under the leadership of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Parliament will convene on July 18 to discuss the extension of emergency rule.
OHAL, which is criticized by human rights groups and the opposition for restricting rights and freedoms, has been extended three times so far.
Under emergency rule, the government has pressed ahead with many controversial decrees that have the force of law and are not required to be approved by Parliament. In line with these decrees, over 138,000 people have been purged from state bodies on coup charges.