Death toll in Kayseri attack rises to 15 with loss of another soldier

0
This picture obtained from the Ihlas News Agency shows a police officer and people walking next to the wreck of public bus following an explosion on December 17, 2016 in Kayseri, central Turkey. Several people were wounded on December 17 in a car bombing close to the public bus in the central Turkish city of Kayseri, television reports said. The Dogan news agency said that the blast took place opposite the Erciyes University in the city. NTV television said there could be fatalities as a result of the blast. The state-run Anadolu news agency said that the bus was owned by the municipal transport authorities in Kayersi but was transporting Turkish soldiers who had taken permission to go to a local market for the day. IHLAS NEWS AGENCY / AFP

The number of soldiers killed in a terrorist attack in the central province of Kayseri last December rose to 15 when one of the injured soldiers succumbed to his injuries.

Twenty-five-year-old Mesut Yaşar had been undergoing treatment at Erciyes University’s Faculty of Medicine Hospital since Dec. 17, the day of the attack, which initially claimed the lives of 14 soldiers and injured 55 others.

Yaşar died on Friday.

The car bomb attack targeted a bus carrying off-duty soldiers and civilians. The Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK), an offshoot of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), claimed responsibility for the attack.

The explosion occurred just as the bus drove past a car carrying explosives. The bomb exploded at an entrance to Erciyes University.

LEAVE A REPLY