2 detained over İzmir attack as gag order imposed

0

Two people have been detained over a car bomb attack on Thursday that killed at least two and injured seven people near a courthouse in İzmir, Cumhuriyet reported.

A gag order was imposed on news coverage of the attack by the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK.

İzmir Governor Erol Ayyıldız said initial findings show that the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) was behind the attack.

One police officer and a courthouse employee lost their lives in the explosion.

“Thanks to the attention of our slain police officer, the real attack was prevented. The initial findings so far point to the PKK,” Ayyıldız told reporters.

Turkish police teams shot dead two suspected attackers and were searching for a third after the attack.

Ayyıldız said two Kalashnikov rifles, eight hand grenades and RPG7 rocket projectors were seized from the dead terrorists.

The governor also said seven people were injured in the explosion, three of them police officers.

Turkey faces multiple security threats. It has been hit by a series of bombings over the past 18 months, some of them blamed on the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), others on the PKK.

The Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK), an offshoot of the PKK, last month claimed responsibility for two attacks in İstanbul and İzmir that killed around 60 people.

LEAVE A REPLY