An Aydın prosecutor said that investigations into a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15 helped them pursue previous, unrelated investigations, in an interview with a local newspaper that appeared on Monday.
Aydın prosecutor Hakan Arslan told the Aydın Denge daily that there was an order to investigate coup involvement in Aydın and that even though there was no evidence of involvement in the province, he ordered the detention of 1,882 people from previously initiated investigations, admitting that 1,882 people who had nothing to do with the coup were falsely accused in the wake of July 15.
“Thank God there was nobody who was involved with the coup in Aydın, but there had been previous investigations that we initiated before July 15. We immediately gave orders as part of these investigations, and 1,882 people were detained. Currently 418 of them are under arrest, while 742 were released on probation and 94 were released after testifying. Detention warrants were issued for 154 people,” the prosecutor said.