Turkey’s exports to EU countries grew by 6.4 percent in June

0
ANTALYA, TURKEY - NOVEMBER 30 : Oranges are being loaded on a truck after the harvest in Finike district of Antalya, Turkey on November 30, 2017. Orange harvest, began 20 days ago, expected to end in May with 230 thousand tons of crops. Finike, the orange paradise, is known to produce commonly Washington Navel oranges where 400 to 500 tons of oranges are harvested per day. After the harvest, oranges are packed in 24 facilities found in the district then transported. 80 percent of the crops are put on domestic markets in Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir in the first place, the rest 20 percent are exported to Ukraine, Russia and Moldova. Orhan Cicek / Anadolu Agency

Turkey’s exports to European Union countries increased by 6.4 percent over the same period last year, reaching $6.6 billion in June, according to the national statistics authority.

The Turkish Statistics Institute (TurkStat) announced June foreign trade numbers on Tuesday, indicating a 1.3 percent decrease in exports and a 3.8 percent increase in imports year on year.

According to the data, the foreign trade deficit dropped by 9.1 percent, from $6.48 billion to $5.497 billion.

In the first six months, compared to the same period last year, Turkey’s exports grew by 6.3 percent, while imports also increased by 13.5 percent. In that period the foreign trade deficit also expanded by 31.6 percent, amounting to some $40 billion difference between exports and imports.

The share of high tech products in Turkey’s exports remained at around 3.2 percent, while they account for 13.6 percent of imports.

Germany was Turkey’s biggest trading partner with $1.308 billion in exports, followed by England with $882 million, İtaly with $815 million and the US with $627 million.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s imports came mainly from China with $1.838 billion, Russia with $1.794 billion, Germany with $1.793 billion and the US with $1.149 billion.

Liked it? Take a second to support Turkish Minute on Patreon!

LEAVE A REPLY